Friday, February 2, 2024

Introduction

Hello, I'm Karsten Kroener and I am currently in a Bachelor of Arts in Art program at UAF.  

This is a photo I took from near the top of Bear Mountain in the summer of 2021.  
To the right of the mountain in the distance is the town of Eagle River.


I've lived in Fairbanks for the past few years and don't plan on ever leaving.  I am a lifelong Alaskan who really enjoys the nature, more-so in interior Alaska.  I like the dryer weather, mixed forest, and surrounding tundra all encapsulated in a small-ish town.  Music brings me peace and helps me stay grounded .  In the 7th grade I played the trumpet, much later on I learned how to use daw's and midi keyboards in conjunction with GarageBand.  I didn't have any training in music so all of what I've created in Garageband is more experimental sounding.  I usually use synth instruments with a deep baseline.  I like to go for nature walks and take nature photographs. Another pastime I enjoy is to make art, primarily three-dimensional art like woodworking, sculptures, etc.

I mostly listen to electronic music, I think this is due to all the electronic soundtracks I heard growing up playing computer games like Command and Conquer Red Alert, and Need for Speed III: Hot Pursuit.  I listen to a variety of sub-genres like break-beat, house, melodic / downtempo, and nostalgic sounding vaporware.  I don't exclusively listen to electronic music.  I also like some alternative / indie rock (Pinkshinyultrablast), dream pop (The Sundays), classic rock (Fleetwood Mac), some rap (Azealia Banks), some classical music (Clair De Lune), and electronic music (Negative Gemini).  I used to listen to a lot more rock and grunge music (puddle of mud, minerva, nine inch nails, etc.) but as I got older I've leaned towards other music.

I have been to three music concerts in my life.  The first was in Seward AK back in 2000.  I was originally there for a camping trip, but a bluegrass concert was going on at the same time so I attended for a few songs.  The next concert I saw was around 2009, I'm not exactly sure.  It was at the East high school auditorium and the performer was the drummer for the band Hootie and The Blowfish.  The first real concert I attended was in Anchorage in the summer of 2017.  It was the road to warped tour.  I saw multiple bands play.  It was mostly modern up and coming "scene music" and an older 90's alt rock band.  Linked below is a song that has recently become one of my favorites.  The singer is Caroline Loveglow  and this song has nostalgic appeal to me.  

Caroline Loveglow - Foxy




5 comments:

  1. Interesting, music brings you peace and keeps you grounded. Music energizes me. I have to stay away from music if I want to get to sleep.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice to meet a fellow Art student in this class! I'm also a lifelong Alaskan with no plans to leave (at least not permanently — I'll probably have to head to the Lower 48 for a few years to pursue my education goals, but I'm not too happy about it, ha). My specific attachment is to Anchorage rather than Fairbanks, but I've been here (Fairbanks) for a little over five months now, and fall was quite beautiful — I took a lot of photos.

    And it's great that you've been able to learn how to use DAWs, etc. even without any musical training. It's been a goal of mine to learn the electronic side of music for a while now; I've messed around in GarageBand a bit and can do some basic audio editing, but it's a pretty steep learning curve!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Karsten! It's wonderful to learn more about you and your diverse interests. Your passion for nature and the arts shines through, whether it's through your appreciation for the interior Alaska landscape, your musical pursuits, or your love for woodworking and sculpture.

    It's fascinating to hear about your musical journey from playing the trumpet to experimenting with electronic music production using GarageBand. Your eclectic taste in music, influenced by electronic soundtracks from computer games and spanning various genres like electronic, alternative rock, dream pop, and classical, adds depth to your creative palette.

    Your concert experiences, from attending a bluegrass concert in Seward to seeing bands like Hootie and The Blowfish and modern "scene music" at the Road to Warped Tour, highlight your openness to different musical experiences and genres.

    Thanks for sharing your favorite song by Caroline Loveglow—it's always special when a piece of music resonates with us on a nostalgic level. Your diverse experiences and interests make you a truly unique and vibrant individual. Keep exploring and creating!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can see why you'd never want to leave! it was complete dumb luck I ended up here and I am so happy for it! I doubt I will ever leave either, at least not permanently. I am a firm believer in accepting whatever life throws at you, including leaving an amazing place in the pursuit of something better!

    ReplyDelete

Music and the Fictive Dream - Sim City 4

  The composer for Sim City 4 is chiefly Jerry Martin with other composers like The Humble Brothers .   In this game a jazz theme is carried...